Secure Payment Profiles allow you to store your customer’s payment credentials (e.g. credit card number, expiry date, CVV, card owner name, billing address) and then initiate payments at a later time.
You can process transactions (Purchase, Pre-Authorization, and Refunds) against a Secure Payment Profile in the Portal or through the Payments API.
This feature prevents you from needing to ask a consumer for credit card details each time you want to process a transaction for them.
How do I process a Secure Payment Profile transaction?
- Within the Portal, go to Processing > Payment Profiles.
- On the Payment Profiles page, use the search and sort fields to narrow the search for the consumer’s profile, and then press Enter or hit ‘Refresh’.
- Select the line item for the consumer’s profile.
- On the consumer’s profile page, scroll to the bottom and select ‘Process Payment’.
- In the pop-up window:
- Choose a transaction type (Purchase, Return, or Pre-Authorization).
- Enter an amount and order number.
- Select ‘Submit Transaction’.
- Review the Response message to see whether the transaction was approved or declined.
Good to know:
Processing refunds against a Secure Payment Profile
Refunds through the web terminal
Returns can be processed through the web terminal. The web terminal refund must reference an Adjustment ID, which is the Transaction ID number from the original purchase transaction.
Refunds through the original purchase transaction
Most merchants will find it easiest to process refunds against the original purchase transaction instead of the web terminal. Here’s how:
- On your customer’s profile, select the ‘History’ button at the bottom of your customer’s profile.
- On the History page, click on the transaction you want to refund, then follow the steps outlined in How do I process returns/voids/adjustments? starting with step #3.