EMV 3D Secure (3DS 2.0) is a fraud defence tool used to authenticate card-not-present payments offered worldwide by Visa, MasterCard, and AMEX, branded as Visa Secure (formerly Verified by Visa), Mastercard Identity Check (formerly MasterCard SecureCode), and AMEX SafeKey.
This is an upgrade from 3DS 1.0 that reduces friction for the cardholder. Our support team must also enable this service.
- 3DS 2.0 is available to TD and Global pay processing merchants only.
- Ensure that your integration is set up to support 3DS 2.0.
- RESTful Payments API integrations require new parameters and accept new optional parameters.
- Hosted checkout integrations have a new optional parameter but require no changes.
- Once you have reviewed how to set up EMV 3D Secure and the support team has confirmed this service is available for you, please sign into your account and enable the 3DS 2.0 service.
Good to know:
3D Secure 2.0 can increase your approval rate through the multiple data points it sends to card issuers. 3DS 2.0 also addresses the problem of false declines when the issuer declines a legitimate transaction by mistakenly suspecting fraud.