If you would like to restrict your transactions to pre-authorizations or purchases, you can configure this in your Order Settings. This restriction only applies to transactions processed through Internet Orders via API.
This setting is useful when you require more control over the transaction types being processed within your account. For example, if you don’t want your customers being able to process their own refunds or voids, or if you only want your customers being able to process a pre-authorization.
- You need to be an administrator of your account to make these changes, or have Full Access to Account Settings.
- This setting will also block returns and voids from being processed via Internet Orders through API.
How do I restrict transaction types?
- Within the Portal go to Administration > Account Settings > Order Settings.
- Under Payment Gateway > Validation Options > select ‘Restrict Internet Transaction Processing Types.’
- Specify either ‘Purchase only,’ ‘Pre-Authorization only’ or ‘Purchase or Pre-Authorization only.’
- Click 'Update' to save these changes.
Good to know:
- Pre-Authorizations are a pending charge. It will show on your customer’s statement as a pending transaction, but they will not be charged until you complete the Pre-Authorization as a Purchase. This is useful when wanting to verify that the customer’s card information is correct, before charging them. Or, you can do a Pre-Authorization for a larger amount (such as a damage deposit), then charge them a lesser value afterwards. A Pre-Authorization will expire after 7 days if you choose not to complete it.
- A Purchase is a fully processed transaction.